Saturday, May 10, 2008

An Attempt At The Gist Of Love

I’ve been listening to a song entitled “Falling For You”, by Jem. It got me thinking how many love songs say the line “falling/ fall for you”.

Indeed, “falling” is an apt word. Loving is not a “leap” of faith, as others put it. It is a “fall”. A fall into blindness and consequential misery, to w/c we willingly subject ourselves after a sudden feeling of “seeming flight”. Misery is concurrent to it, in whatever form, whether we admit or not. Faith is just a euphemistic way of putting it. I have to say, we humans are really brave. Imagine how much psychological trauma and torture we put ourselves under for a chance at a few great moments and bliss? It all goes together. No wonder neurosis exists. Hehe. (And I am not alone in this view. Neil Gaiman also said something about hating romantic love.)

Me, a cynic? Maybe, maybe not. I do fall in love easily, I just don’t act on it as quickly as I experience it. Which I think is a good thing (but that’s another story). The friggin’ thing is, we don’t choose who we love. We just end up loving them.

But there is a possible upside. We may choose not to act on love once it occurs. Do some risk-reward analysis if you believe in that sort of thing. Don’t act on love if it’s not worth the misery that comes with it (more often than not you'd think the misery is worthwhile). I’m not saying that we should be “calculating” when it comes to that thing called relationship. Just cushion the fall a little bit. And a little bit goes a long way. It’s not nice having a lot of bruises and scars, right? After all, we can only take so much emotional hurricanes at a time.

Me, a cynic? ;-)

No comments: